Thursday, August 19, 2010

Easily Distracted Kelli is easily distracted.

I have a short attention span. This is a fact I've been dealing with since I can remember. I don't have ADD (and that's a professional's opinion, Mr, Smarty-Pants, not denial), but I can't focus on things for more than a short amount of time. The only exception to this rule is movies, which seems like a pretty big exception, but it's not.

School used to be hell for me. I've always gotten. . . "eh" marks. This isn't because I'm stupid, or incapable of doing the work, but because about fifteen minutes into a lecture or video or class discussion I lose it and get the wiggles, and draw stupid little doodles all over my notebook, as well as my desk.

Take math, for example. I'm good at it. If you can explain a theorem to me in short, concise bursts, I will rock that shit out. I will be all about the theorems. But if the explanation includes diagrams, or letters that need exposition, or overhead projectors. . . I'm lost. And there's not really anything that can be done to get me back.

Why am I telling you all this? It's because of D&D.

I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons on a fairly regular basis since I was sixteen. My friend Jon is the Dungeonmaster in the campaigns I've been playing the last year and a half or so, and he's great. He's really good at keeping things interesting and not letting them get stupid and contrived. Usually, I can follow along with what we're doing, at least to the extent that I can splurt out a short summary filled with "uh"s and "umm"s if someone shows up late and has no idea what's going on.

But there is only so much good storytelling and madcap encounters can do. After a certain point, I get antsy.

And then this happens.

You see that? That is an alien face-hugger. A really gross, inherently evil alien face-hugger that is attacking Carli, a fellow member of our party. Why is it attacking Carli, of all people?

Because it wants to lay eggs in her brain, and because why not.


That's "nice-butt", folks. Like a medical condition.

My scribbles always get progressively weirder, and after a certain point I always end up grabbing one of Jon's dry-erase pens and scrawling my goofy stupid doodles all over the game mat for everyone to see.








I think we had recently watched Hercules? What a silly movie, right? I still don't know how this happened, but it did, and I guess I'm glad I got a picture of it.


At one point last summer while gaming, I drew this huge and inaccurate cartoon of someone who was supposed to be Whitney Houston, and scrawled "CRACK IS WACK" over her head in huge messy letters. I don't have any idea why I did that! My brain just messes with me when I'm trying to pay attention to something. I honestly can't help it.

I've gotten off-topic enough at this point that I'm not even sure how to concisely end this entry.

Note to Kirsten: Email me any and all pictures you have of my stupid D&D drawings, so I can post them in here.

4 comments:

  1. This too, sounds familiar. I must say, that rhombus made me laugh spectacularly. Way to make my day slightly less fugly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe they are all on the book of face. including whitney houston. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. fuck, now i wanna play D&D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your drawings kick ass.

    XD

    I lol'd at the rhombus.

    ReplyDelete

GO ON, SAY SOMETHING.