Friday, March 25, 2011

My New Hobby (or, A Follow-Up To Last Sunday's "Insomnia" Post)

I actually did go out and buy a few boxes of epoxy resin, some molds, cups, Mod Podge (which is so much fun, you don't even know), and various other supplies, and I started experimenting with making my own resin casts! It's a lot of fun and really easy, but resulted in most of the things in my kitchen being very sticky.

It sticks to everything.

I've been pretty consistent about working on this stuff, too, which is a change for me. A couple of days ago I tore through the house trying to find my jewelry pliers and the three-pound box of broken jewelry parts Chelsea gave me, and pliersed all the charms off of every bracelet and necklace in the box. Yesterday I got the idea to make casts that look like fishbowls, so today David and I went out and got actual molds (instead of just dessert and candy molds), and an assorted pack of polymer clay, and I spent an hour or so cranking out little hand-sculpted recreations of food and aquatic life while we watched The Birdcage.


Pictured: assorted angelfish, goldfish, a jellyfish, an eel, a sea anemone, chocolate chip cookies, a fried egg (sunny-side-up!), a flower, and a chocolate-covered strawberry.

Tomorrow I will probably make more, and get even more ideas for little tiny clay replicas of things to make. I can already feel my hands getting sludgy. I keep getting new ideas, like I Spy boxes, and aquariums, and tasty food casts.

I'm incredibly excited. Share in my excitement! Anyone have any ideas or requests?

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see my turtle. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. the little cookies and eggs are so darling, ah!

    ReplyDelete

GO ON, SAY SOMETHING.